Tax Return Lodgment Due Dates
The general deadline for the lodgement of self-prepared individual, partnership and trust income tax returns is 31 October.
In general, where the due date falls on a weekend or public holiday, it is moved to the next business day.
If an extension of time is needed to lodge a tax return, the Tax Office should be contacted before the due date with the reasons. If granted, an extension will avoid (or depending on circumstances, reduce) late lodgement penalties.
For mailing addresses and other queries – see the information here.
Company and Super Fund Lodgment Due Dates[News 19 Jan 2018] The ATO has extended the annual return lodgement date for SMSF 2016-17 returns to 2 July 2018. [News 11 May 2017] The ATO has extended the annual return lodgement date for SMSF 2015-16 returns to 30 June 2017.
Company tax return due lodgment dates depend on the circumstances of the company.
Regardless of general guidelines, the tax office can otherwise request lodgment by a specified date.
Lodgement dates are broadly categorised according to risk (prior lodgement record) and revenue (tax payable and size) factors. The following tax agent program applies to 30 June balancing companies:
- small companies are generally due by 28 February (lodgment and payment)
- companies with prior year returns outstanding or prosecutions are required by 31 October (payment by 1 December)
- large or medium and previous year low-taxed companies, consolidated group companies are required variously from December through March
- various non-taxable entities may have until 15 May as their final lodgment date (generally extendible without penalty to 5 June, beyond which restricted dates apply in the following year).
For a detailed calendar of due dates (including non-30 June balancers), please see
Appointing a Tax Agent – Deadlines
Tax Agents automatically have an extension of time to lodge tax returns, according to a progressive lodgment program.
To be added to a tax agent’s program for the first time, you should contact a tax agent before 31 October, or if transferring from another agent, by 31 December.
Tax Agents’ Lodgment Program
- See the Current tax agent Lodgement Program
- Tax Agent lodgment deferrals
- BAS statements due dates are summarised here
- Month by month schedule of key lodgement dates
- Tax Forms. Some forms are not available as a download. Where they are, they linked here:
- Natural disaster help: ATO assistance for taxpayers affected by natural disasters such as flood, cyclones and bushfires and other unforeseen events can include the deferral of payment and/or lodgment deadlines – see Dealing With Disasters
This page was last modified 2018-07-05