When the receiver of goods or services creates a Tax Invoice
Normally the supplier of goods or services has an obligation to prepare and issue a tax invoice to the customer (“recipient”).
However there are occasions which are provided for in the GST rules when the recipient is permitted to create a valid tax invoice. Such an invoice is called the Recipient Created Tax Invoice (“RTCI”).
Tax office approval of RCTI
Essentially an RCTI can only be issued in circumstances which have Tax Office approval. The circumstances are typically those in which for commercial or practical reasons it is appropriate for the recipient of a supply to calculate and/or issue an invoice. Government grants and trade-in contracts are typical RTCI examples.
Tax Ruling GSTR 2000/10 provides situations where sales can be invoiced using RCTIs.
- certain supplies of agricultural products
- supplies made to registered Government related entities
- supplies to registered recipients with turnover of at least $20 million
- a specific situation for research grants
The Tax Office can be requested to determine other situations where RCTIs can be used – see contact details from the ATO link below.
See Draft Legislative Instrument LI 2022/D15 A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax): Recipient Created Tax Invoice Determination 2023 issued on 16 November 2022.
Essential preconditions for the issue of an RCTI
- the purchaser and the seller are both registered for GST
- there is a current written sales agreement, or terms are embedded in the invoice (see the ATO-sourced template below, for example)
- the type of sale is covered by an ATO determination
- Macquarie University – Office of Financial Services
- GSTR 2000/10 – Goods and services tax: recipient created tax invoices
- GST Determination for RCTI – update 28 Sept 2016: Australian Financial Services Licensees and their Representatives
- GST Determination for RCTI – update 28 Sept 2016: Government Undercover Agents
- GST Determination for RCTI – update 28 Sept 2016: Reverse Charged Supplies
- GST Determination for RCTI – update 28 Sept 2016: Recyclers
- GST Determination for RCTI – update 28 Sept 2016: Research Grants
- ATO – free invoice template – Nat 73657 – Find this template at https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Recipient-created-tax-invoices/
or click below
This page was last modified 2022-11-18