This is general information and not advice. For more information see Queensland Payroll tax liability and taxable wages
News 1 July 2021: the 50% payroll tax rebate for wages paid to apprentices and trainees has been extended for a further 12 months to 30 June 2022. See Public Ruling PTAQ000.5.1
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) business assistance finder
- see summary: COVID-19 – What is the payroll tax relief in Queensland?
Payroll Tax Rate in Queensland
The payroll tax rate is:
- 4.75% for employers or groups of employers who pay $6.5 million or less in Australian taxable wages
- 4.95% for employers or groups of employers who pay more than $6.5 million in Australian taxable wages.
- Regional employers may be entitled to a 1% discount on the rate until 30 June 2023.
Payroll Tax Threshold in Queensland
The current threshold is $1.3 million in annual Australian taxable wages.
For wages over $1.3 million up to $6.5 million the deduction of $1.3 million reduces by $1 for every $4 of taxable wages over this amount.
- Monthly returns and payment are due seven days after the end of each month except June, or if a weekend or public holiday, the next business day.
- An annual return and reconciliation is required by 21 July each year
Queensland Payroll Tax Definition of Wages
The payroll tax base include wages and salaries, the definition of which is expanded to include a range of contractor payments, allowances, super payments and fringe benefits.
Included are payments to third parties for services provided by and employee (or director) to an employer.
Qld Payroll Tax Exemptions
There are also a number of exemptions and exclusions. Exemptions may be based on the status of the employer, or the nature of the work.
See more: Exemptions
Queensland Payroll Tax and Contractors
Queensland Payroll Tax Grouping Provisions
Entities which are grouped for payroll tax purposes only have one deductible threshold.
Relationships (and hence aggregation of payroll amounts) are determined on the basis of 5 possible factors:
- are related bodies corporate
- share employees
- are controlled by the same person(s)
- are corporations with indirect links or complex structures
- are part of 2 or more groups.
There are some group exemptions available.
See: Grouping Information
This page was last modified 2021-06-25